The one thing I really missed eating when I gave up dairy was ice cream. Especially on a hot sweltering day nothing is more satisfying than having icy cold yummy goodness of ice cream melting in my mouth. Ahh… at that moment, life is perfect.
Well, living without ice cream was doable for a while but it gets hard on a really hot day and living in KL it is hot practically everyday, 365 days a year! That desperation made me try a dairy free version which to my surprise turned out really good. The ice cream recipe I am posting today is made from coconut milk. If you are not a big fan of coconut flavour like my husband and are wondering if the ice cream is going to taste like full on coconut, fret not! Its rich, creamy and delicious and doesn’t have an overpowering coconut taste at all. Just super yummmmyy icy goodness and if you love coconuts like me then its pure heaven!
With only 4 ingredients needed to make this ice cream (I served it at the end with some raw walnuts for some texture and crunch) this recipe is super easy and simple but full of flavour, just the way I like it.
I don’t have a ice cream maker so I made this the old fashioned way, making the custard base with the egg yolks and coconut milk over a double boiler.
Once the thick custardy ice cream mixture is completely cooled I put it in the freezer and took it out every 30 minutes and stirred it until it set which took about 2 hours. It turned out perfect. So you really don’t need an ice cream maker for this recipe at all, just a little patience.
Using organic ingredients are optional but I choose to reduce the pesticide residue going into my body so I always use organic ingredients whenever possible and available.
If you can’t find vanilla bean pods, no worries at all vanilla bean paste works as well. I don’t use any refined sugar in my cooking thus the honey in this recipe and this gives the ice cream a rich honey flavour an added bonus. With no gluten,diary or refined sugar, this ice cream is seriously good for you and….delicious!
Ok, I will stop all the talk for now. This is the recipe people, enjoy!
Coconut Ice cream with Raw Honey and Organic Vanilla Bean – Serves 8 ice cream scoops
- 4 free range egg yolks
- 400ml coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp of raw organic honey
- 2 organic vanilla bean pods – the inside scrapped which is what we will be using or 2 Tsp of vanilla bean paste
- chopped walnuts or choice of nuts for sprinkling at the end before serve – optional
OK this is how you roll :
- Heat the coconut milk in a double boiler(see the above photo) but never let it come to boil. Make sure that the boiling water in the pot does not touch the bottom of the bowl at any time.
- When the coconut milk is hot, add in the honey and vanilla bean, whisking them into the milk until well incorporated.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg white and leave the egg yolks in a medium size bowl to be used. Scoop a ladle of the hot coconut milk into the egg yolks while whisking the egg yolks and the milk at the same time. This will slowly bring the temperature of the egg yolks up without scrambling them. Repeat this step 2 more times.
- Pour the egg yolk & coconut milk mixture into the rest of the hot coconut milk on top of the double boiler and continue whisking for another 8-10 minutes until the mixture becomes thick and custardy.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and let cool before pouring into a freezer safe container.
- Once you have poured the completely cooled mixture into the freezer safe container, put it into the freezer.
- Set the timer for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes take the container out of the freezer and whisk the ice cream mixture well, making sure to whisk away any lumps.
- Repeat the above step 3 or 4 times until the ice cream is starting to set.
- Once the ice cream starts to set, you can leave it in the freezer to completely set.
- Finally, serve with raw nuts of your choice or on its own and soak in the rich, creamy….icy goodness!
Let me know how you go with this recipe, I would love to hear your comments!