So it is the season of Mangoes here in KL. My husband and I, we both love mangoes. For us, Mangoes are the chocolate of the fruit world and during our many past summers living in Australia we ate Mangoes for dessert almost everyday and sometimes with chocolate. Yes, life is good like that.
Mangoes are sweet, juicy and oh so lusciously delicious, the perfect fruit to nom nom on a hot summer’s day. A favourite dessert of mine which also features these fabulous beauties is the Thai Sticky Rice with Mangoes. When we go to a Thai restaurant or during our holidays to Thailand I love to order this dessert. Such a wonderful way to finish a Spicy Thai dinner or lunch, Yum is all I can say.
So this is my version of that dish. I use coconut blossom sugar instead of white sugar to sweeten the coconut milk thus, it turns a little brown but it still is yummy and sweet. The ripe juicy mangoes give the dessert the extra sweetness. No, this dessert will not be as sweet as the ones you would normally eat in the Thai restaurants but then again none of the desserts that I make are too sweet.
Ahhh Mangoes….thanks for being in my life.
Thai Sticky Rice with Mangoes, Mint & Coconut milk – Serves 4
- 2 medium mangoes – sliced
- 1 cup of sticky rice or otherwise known as glutinous rice (not to worry there is no gluten in these) – cooked
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- fresh pandanus leave (optional)
- 6 tbsp of coconut blossom sugar
- a bunch of mint leaves
OK this is how you roll :
- Heat the coconut milk in a small pot until hot but not boiling.
- Add the coconut blossom sugar into the hot coconut milk and stir well until dissolved.
- Let the coconut milk to cool to room temperature.
- Using a small sized bowl of 3 inch diameter scoop the cooled cooked rice onto a plate. Alternatively, you can also use ice cream scoop.
- Place the sliced mangoes on the side of the rice and pour the cooled sweet coconut milk onto the rice and mangoes, drenching them completely. You can serve the extra sweet coconut milk on the side.
- Ready be enjoyed!